Saturday, November 15, 2008

"I Wanna Be In Love...But I'm Working On Me First..."

Awesome topic, eh? A friend of mine whom I met on the Internet and I were chatting on Yahoo messenger and it had been awhile since we really chatted other than hi and bye and that type of stuff. Anyway, I asked him if he was married yet because he used to talk about settling down all the time and it had been awhile and he went on to say that he was still single and it was mostly because women didn't know what they wanted (go figure) and then he said something really profound, and it caught me off guard because you rarely hear it anymore, especially from a 28 year old. He said he was "just trying to get himself together mentally, financially, and spiritually" before he was going to be able to really commit to a woman on that level. I sat back and applauded him silently because it was a very on point thing to say.

The loneliness can set in and the need for sex and companionship and all that comes with having a relationship with a BOO has been the focus of many 20 and 30 somethings but at the same time, how can we give ourselves to someone else when we aren't even ready? Not ready in the sense of being ready to be in an exclusive relationship, but ready in the sense of having our ish together so that we come to the table with plenty to offer. I mean, how can we be with someone whom we expect to have it together when we aren't able to say the same? I am so proud of my little homie because he brought that back into prospective for me. Not that I didn't know that already because TRUST, I do, but it's easy as a human and as a female in this world of ours to forget the basics and get caught up in the rapture.

Speak on it....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baby girl, you felt me 100%. I just wish that everyone else on this planet felt the same way I do at this point in life. It would be so much easier if everyone was on the same page when it comes 2 relationships. But we don't live in a perfect world do we. But I think the important thing is that we need 2 further educate ourselves on the subjects of love,commitment, sex, and relationships. That way it "Should" be easier 2 find that special someone in your life.

Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone should rush to fall in love. I have friends and relatives who fall in love with the first person that smiles at them. You most certainly have to have yourself together first. You have the right idea. Fall in love with yourself first...then you can fall in love with someone else. They'll show up when you least expect it. I didn't find my husband until I stopped looking for one.