Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Boyfriend Gifts vs. Friend Gifts- What Is Too Much

Those few of you who read this blog (one day I will really promote it to the masses but I am just quite not ready yet) know that a lot of my conversations with my friends on the 'net and real life somehow magically make it onto my blog. It's catharsis for me. Today is no exception. A friend of mine who happens to be male and I were discussing Christmas gifts and we were telling one another what we wanted. He had told me in the past that he wanted a Sony PS3 and I was cool with that, but the more I thought about it, the more I felt like that gift was like a gift that a woman gives to her man. Not a woman to her friend. Him and I aren't at that point so I thought that type of gift would've been a little over the top. He didn't agree. And on a sidenote, I've seen his television (it's hella old) and thought that it would be cool to get him a flatscreen but then of course if a PS3 is over the top, that would be like towards the heavens. LOL.

He didn't agree with me. He said that he didn't think a PS3 or plasma would be over the top but of course he would be the benefactor in this so why would he? When he asked what I wanted, I told him to put the amount that he would've spent on my gift and give it to his church as an offering in my name. Now I think that is appropriate.

I just think high ticket electric items such as game consoles and televisions, and the like are things that friends (well male and female friends) don't give to one another. Unless there is more going on. I don't know. Maybe I am wrong. Let me know if you agree or not. I am anxious to read your input. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well it depends on the people and their relationship. If 2 friends of the opposite sex can spend that kinda of money on each other, so be it.

NightFall914 said...

Interesting.I always spend more on my female friends then I EVER get in return.I think its more about what you feel is comfortable to you.To me its not price based as much as its function based.

If the guy likes video games then dont go all in on the whole console.Get him a gift card he can use towards that purchase.Or just get him a game.