Tuesday, January 6, 2009

My Addiction To U (Plus) My 30 Day No Soda Challenge

If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands.

I am not clapping folks.

I am irritable and bitter and borderline psychotic because my mind is playing tricks on me. Ryan Leslie's song about addiction keeps playing in my cerebral cortex as I dream of the days I sipped on a ice cold Dr. Pepper straight out of a 12 ounce can.

Those days are gone.

Not one for resolutions, I began to think of ways I could revolutionize my life as '08 came to an end. Live better. Go farther. Do more. And so, as of Monday, January 5, 2008, I put myself on a self supervised 30 Day No Soda Challenge.

I figured I drank about 4 12 ounces of soda per day (during the week) and maybe even more than that on the weekends. That, my friends, is not good, and a one-way ticket to diabetes-ville. Hell, I am surprised I am not morbidly obese with all of the soda I have consumed on a daily basis.

But that was then....

I am currently having issues, though, because soda was an addiction. I have had about three headaches since I began the challenge. I know my body is withdrawing from caffeine and so I drink iced tea which has caffeine to substitute but I think my body knows the difference. I went to the grocery store yesterday on my off day and purchased apple and cranberry juice as well as lemonade, and plenty of water. The first day was very easy but today I am stressing out big time.

I WANT A FREAKING SODA!

In addition to my no soda rule (not even diet soda folks which I can't stand anyway), I am also instituting the following guidelines for my new and improved lifestyle and healthy living:

  • Eating breakfast everyday and NO SKIPPING
  • Making sure I get at least 10 glasses of water each day
  • Taking my lunch to work and no longer purchasing fast food or takeout
  • Cooking dinner each night, healthier meals and no fried foods
  • No eating after 7pm during the week
  • Yoga class at the Y (I will tackle Pilates this spring)
I am hoping that with these new life choices, I am preparing myself to live a longer, more healthy life. My father has been very ill lately and heart disease runs in my family and I do not want to become a victim of that. I want to be around for my offspring as well as show them a healthier way to live so that they can therefore live a longer life as well.

Someone has got to break the chain....

LOL. I will whine. I will complain. I will probably write numerous a blog regarding my frustrations. But I know in the end, I am doing the right thing for me and my well being.

If anyone else would like to participate in the 30 Day No Soda Challenge with me, please e-mail me at dannigyrl_is_fab@yahoo.com

I already have a few Twitter folks who are participating with me. Let's do this :P

7 comments:

Jillian said...

oh you know i'm in on that! lol it's actually been a little over a week since i've had one...i don't keep any in my house anyway..juice occassionally but always water..

drinking lots of water will help with the headaches...no caffeine..aaand to help make water more exciting, girl I LOVE crystal light...Pink Lemonade, Lemonade, and Fruit Punch are my favorite..the Raspberry Tea is pretty good too..but great thing 0 calories..sugar free!..I also got me one of those big water bottles, so it's my mission to finish it throughout the day... :)

when you get frustrated just rub your earlobes woo-sa it out!!

*puts my fist up to the no soda movement* WOOT WOOT!

[flahy] [blak] [chik] said...

I've been soda free for about 2 yrs now! I know when I first stopped drinking it, the headaches were crucial! I guess it was like a drug withdrawl..you'll be fine in a about week!

Hmm...I'm trying to think of something I'd want to give up for 30 days....sushi? I swear I eat it like 4 xs a week..lol...and I know it's hurting my pockets lol

Jillian said...

BTW...i love Ryan Leslie...and that song..that beat is beyond ridiculous!

noooo don't give up the sushi...maybe just the 4x's a week part...

NightFall914 said...

I used to drink more soda then that up till maybe spring of last yr.Then I just stopped cold turkey.Aside from an occasional rum and coke I'm thru with soda.You can do it believe me.

Anonymous said...

Good luck!! Try the Dole Ruby Red Grapefruit juice. I started drinking those when I started weening myself off of Mountain Dew. It works....also Ocean spray white cranberry/strawberry is good too!!

Anonymous said...

i gotta get my chinese tho! :)

Unknown said...

LMao I love you but me giving up pepsi ensures jail time 4 me lol