Friday, January 16, 2009

Internet FAKERS.

This is a topic that must be discussed. Period and point blank. 

Let me start this latest blog entry off by saying I am not new to the Internets. Blogging maybe. But I have been on the Internet since 1995, when I got my first computer (A Gateway2000 'memba them?) and subscribed to American Online (before it was shortened to AOL). Back in them days, the scenery was very organic. Very real. There were, of course, people who played headgames even back then. But it was as real as it could be in cyberspace. It was a way to communicate and learn information and meet new people in other parts of the country and world. It was FUN!

Then social networking sites began to hit the Internet and thus started to take their toll on the fun-ness of logging on. People began to be preoccupied about their appearance more so than substance. "Let me post the best picture, even though it may be ten years ago when I was fifty pounds lighter, or better yet, let me just steal someone else's pics. Let me create a personality, another virtual me, that is nothing like me. Let me invent an identity. A resume. I graduated from Stanford and have a PhD in Biochemical Warfare. I have seven cars for every day of the week and I travel every week to a new place and I am invited to all of these parties and premieres and such. I am so fabulous, yo!"

Why can't people just be themselves? Be proud of their occupation or lack thereof, whatever it is. Why do we feel the need to impress? I am noticing, especially on TWITTER, that everyone seems to be a publicist, a model, a manager, a record exec, a something. There are only a handful of folks such as myself that aren't in the "industry". Knowing what little that I do know about the entertainment business, I find this hard to believe because it is a very close-knit and small group of folks in the urban realm. Don't get me wrong, I am not calling each and every person I've met online a liar because I do know there are those of you who are grinding it out and doing their thing and are quite successful at doing it too. And I love it. I love seeing folks on the come-up. But for those who feel that they have to create a false lifestyle in order to feel elite is suspect to me.

And then there are those individuals who are not necessary lying about their occupations or lifestyles but create a SASHA FIERCE character to coincide with their real life. For instance, in real life they are quiet, reserved, introverted. But online they become boisterous, obnoxious, loud, bold. Come on now. I am seeing people with statuses like "I am going to whip on this 'hoe' or "I am at ole boys house and he and I are getting ready to get busy" when in actuality they are sitting on their couch watching Maury Povich and can't get crunk in real life to save themselves from an uncertain death.

You don't have to lie to kick it.

Be you. Flaws and all. I think those that keep it real are the most fabulous.

5 comments:

NightFall914 said...

It's WWE, pure comic book fantasy gone bad. Now me, I'll be the first to say I have a number of aka's/personas but their all me, they all make up Jason and that doesn't change regardless of if I'm online or off.

People want attention.They want to be liked but some liked to hated as well. It all about wanting to be seen and acCnowledged.

Its all funny to me.

JNez said...

well put, danni. i live my internet life as i do my real world life. well...i am a little more outgoing online than i am in the real world. but i have no internet persona other than who i am. too bad we all can't say that. but then again, characters created online make for great theater :-)

Jia said...

lmao damn shame but extra true (especially as it pertains to twitter)

Jillian said...

remember when you would try to connect to the internet and you would listen to the dial tone..then the dialing...then that like siren sound..then static..then you'd be connected?!?! LMAO man..

anyway...very true, but some people just aren't outgoing like that and their internet life is their only excitement..escapism..granted, I don't see the harm in having an online persona, as long as you are doing no harm to others and you disclosed when asked etc...it definitely is out of control these days though..

Unknown said...

Very Much agreed , you have already seen the drama .. You understand as I do.