Monday, February 23, 2009

Guest Blogger- Naturally Alise Responds To My Personal Domestic Abuse Post

Under my previous post entitled: Not To Be Taken Lightly, I discussed my own personal experience with physical and verbal abuse. In the comments section, one of my Twitter friends and blog colleagues Naturally Alise, did not fully agree with my closing statement, time heals all wounds. In order to clarify her reasoning for not agreeing and also give her a forum in order to reply in full to my post, I asked her to write a featured Guest Blog on my site. The following is her blog entry written expressly for BlogNotWar:

I had to rebuild my self confidence and strength back, but I know what it feels like to be overpowered and bullied by the one that you love and who supposedly loves you. So I do feel for not only Rihanna, but for every victim of domestic or physical violence male or female.You can They say time heals all wounds. I would say that that is a correct assessment.
I must respectfully semi-disagree with my buddy Dannigyrl. Time does NOT heal all wounds. In fact, emotional wounds behave just like physical wounds. * You can ignore the wound and it will get infected and become much larger and more detrimental than the original injury. In fact in 1997, I was sexually assaulted. I will not go into the specific details (I'll save that for my memoirs one day, shit, I'm gonna be famous y'all), but I swept it under the rug and refused to deal with it until a few years ago. That pain ate me up and festered in my spirit for all those years. It affected my lifestyle and affected every relationship I was ever in negatively. time did not heal a single thing. Not a one.* You can deal with the wound. You can endure the sting of the alcohol and cleanse it. Do you once I started talking about what happened to me and dealing with my emotions constructively, through therapy and support of friends I was able to come out a better and infinitely stronger woman. I just had to get over the feelings of shame and stigma (the sting of the alcohol, if you will) and just hold my head up. I did that, time didn't do a single thing. Not a one.BUT*Just like a wound, it scars. It leaves something behind. That doesn't mean it necessarily has to be bad. I am a firm believer in turning tragedy or negativity into something fruitful in the end. That is the key, use that time on this planet to do something that will help or encourage the next woman to restart her life and maybe be encouraged not to waste precious time walking around with open wounds.***I also really feel the need to throw in this random PSA. STOP blaming victims. Le sigh...***Thanks,Naturally Alise

You can visit Naturally Alise by going to her blog Black Woman Lost and Found HERE and Cubicle Crusaders HERE

2 comments:

S A V V Y Fatty!...uhhh...DUH! said...

**applauds**

First off, LOVE to see my TWomies coming together for a common good!

Loving the brutal honesty of "Time does NOT heal all."
So true.

We must also remember that even though the victim carries the brunt of the physical and emotional scars, the perp also has some damage that he/she must deal with.
Nothing happens overnight. No one wakes up, snaps and says, "I'mma fuck an azz UP today!"
There's been eps in that person's past to make them the monster they have come to be.
The perp also requires love, support, understanding, and healing just like the victim. And if we, as a society, don't offer that, we're setting ourselves up for future generations of perps (by the pound.)
**exhales**

;^)

Good shit, ladies!

Danni-'Tis my first time here and...I LIKE IT!

Jillian said...

i can definitely feel her passion behind her situation and her opinion...

my first reaction is that i don't believe the phrase "time heals all wounds" is meant literally just letting time pass...i think time heals all wounds means EXACTLY how Alise explained it, it's what you do with that time...i think time heals all wounds means when something traumatic has happened in your life you aren't going to be right the next day or maybe the next week or next year...but after some time...time to soul search and hopefully find a way (as she said) to turn a negative situation around your wounds will heal...not cure..but heal..